One of the vital components of the branding of your business is a color palette. Using consistent colors helps communicate important messaging to users as they interact with your site. Because of this, the color choice is, therefore, something that should always be planned and tested closely.
Before choosing any colors or schemes, you need to have a deep understanding of your brand and the users interacting with your website.
Below is an overview of color psychology, and what different colors mean. It will help you focus on the message and feeling you want your site to convey.
- Red: A bold color that evokes strong emotion. With its intensity, it creates a sense of urgency.
- Orange: Cheerful and confident, orange conveys the idea of enthusiasm. However, it can come off as the color of caution as well.
- Yellow: Like orange, yellow provides a cheerful feeling. It represents optimism and is usually attention-grabbing. One thing to consider, however, is that some shades can strain the eye.
- Green: Represents growth and nature. It signifies health, serenity, and tranquility. It is associated with wealth.
- Blue: This color is associated with water, and provides a feeling of calmness and serenity. Blue creates a sense of security and trust and is often used for corporations.
- Turquoise: Sophisticated and also associated with healing.
- Purple: The color of wealth and success. It’s a powerful color, but also represents creativity.
- Brown: Friendly, earthy, and commonly represents the outdoors.
- Black: A color with a sophisticated feeling. It’s often what we think of with “sleek” brands because of its exclusivity and mystery.
- Gray: Provides a feeling of security, reliability, and intelligence.
- White: Provides a clean or neutral feeling. It’s a key color because it adds breathing room and what is referred to as “white space.”
These are useful color scheme generators that are free and easy to use:
- Canva’s color wheel
- W3school Color Scheme
During the web design phase, it will take trial and error to fine-tune everything, and that’s all right. It becomes simpler to build a website color scheme that operates with a few tips and tricks and a definite plan.